NOTE

As I continue to work on things away from this blog (which is a collection of Free-Time/Casual Online Writing, Remarks, And Notes By ME Whelan) and continue to figure out what goes and what stays of my existing online-writing, the de-emphasizing of one or another continues as well....

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Finally Have A Clearer Idea About How I'll Move Forward With The "Notebook Blogs"

As someone who needs structure, neatness, and a general appearance/feel (of a page I'm working on) of a certain "level of polished"; I've realized that among a few different things that have kind of made me feel less than motivated has been my having only a "rough-draft" kind of plan for the "notebook blogs".  I've known where I want them to be and how I'll use them, and I know what I want each to focus on (and why and how, and all that).

What has been kind of slowing me down (and in ways making me kind of freeze up) has been that a certain amount of background-/foundation- material has to at least be on some of the "notebooks", but that has meant that as I start to add some of that stuff it makes me feel as if I'm losing site of what those "notebooks" were designed to be. 

On the one hand, there's something to be said for just kind of forgetting about structure and format and appearance and getting some stuff down.  On the other hand adding "big mess" to "big mess"  (or the alternative until now, adding "big mess" to what was reasonably clean and neat) just kind of creates the impression (in myself) that I've lost site of neat and orderly and generally more conventional approach to each "notebook".  Enough neat, well organized, such "notebooks" (either alone or tied in with other, related, pages, will all kind of fall in place.

I finally realized that I have to be careful about being de-motivated about what looks like yet another big mess of poorly structured material; and remember that there really is a finite number of such posts before I can move on with my original aims for each "notebook".

There is (at least for me and with my aims) something to be said for just loading up some of the long posts without worrying about structure and appearance and organization.  What I need to remind myself (maybe not now, but I've had to as I've been wallowing in de-motivation and dissatisfaction regarding these pages) is that the information (big mess of it as it may be) does need to be there.  It doesn't need to be highlighted, however.  It's just that as I'm adding this stuff in the beginning (and without the "Phase II" stuff on a page yet), a) it does look highlighted for now, and b) seems to highlight not just the mix of information, but also the poor structure of it all.

One thing I don't need or want are more half-baked pages that are waiting for one another thing to happen, even if one or another of those things may be deletion when the time is right.  I may ultimately consolidate and/or delete a couple or few of the "notebooks". 

In any case, the path to better structure for the "notebooks" is not (I now see) to eliminate the messier posts/information, but to include them (without concern for their structure) - but then given them a "low-level" place on each "notebook".

When all is said and done, trying to write stuff, think up structure, think up direction (etc. etc) all at the same time can just appear kind of de-motivating, at least until a few more things start to fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment