NOTE

As I continue to work on things away from this blog (which is a collection of Free-Time/Casual Online Writing, Remarks, And Notes By ME Whelan) and continue to figure out what goes and what stays of my existing online-writing, the de-emphasizing of one or another continues as well....

Friday, May 29, 2015

Why Talking To Your Cat Or Dog Is Not Just Good, But Is Important

January 28, 2014 After I ran into someone's post on talking to her dog "like she's a person", I thought I'd write the following post rather than write a big, long, comment on the post.


Both cats and dogs pick up a lot more than we'd ever imagine they can. It can take some time, but as we have them with us longer and longer they're absolutely amazing. I could write a book about the stuff the few dogs that have either been my pets or someone in my family's, and a whole lot of "long term" cats that have been my own pets. So, no. It's not crazy at all, and your dog will probably benefit from it not only be eventually learning more and more about what you mean (and even a lot of words); but also - if you think about it - pets are there, watching their "people", and not really knowing what's going on. If nothing else (and long before they have the time to learn what people mean, or some of what they mean; pets have to feel a little more valued and acknowledged when someone does talk to them.

So, if nothing else, I do think that talking to them contributes to their feeling cared about, acknowledged, and therefore secure. Not only that (and I'm basing this on having a lot of long-term pets, myself, over the course of my adult life), but pets are like children in a lot of ways. If they feel respected and cared about, and if they feel the person who cares for them is kind to them and at least tries to help them understand the world around them; they're not only more well behaved because they do eventually learn how to follow some of the rules better (because they do learn those few words or unspoken messages/signals), but because they more emotionally secure (less likely to have behavior problems) AND because they generally want to please someone who is kind to, appreciative of, and respectful toward them.

I don't pretend to be a cat or dog expert; but as I said, I've had a lot of long-term pets; and they've all been pleasures to live with (except, of course, for the occasional vomit lol and expect for when they've become sick); and so often I've have guests at the house who are kind of amazed at how well behaved different pets have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment